In a couple of days it will be Good Friday, although I never understood why we call it "Good" Friday. In my opinion there are several words I could think of to describe the torturous, gruesome, hateful and disgracing death of my savior...but "Good" is not one of them.
But, today will forever be known as "Good Wednesday" in my house, because it will always be the day I remember Samuel saying, "Ma-ma." Ever since Sam was born Michael and I have had a running bet. Instead of competing against each other to get him to say our own name first, we developed a new idea. Whoever's name he said first had to take the other one out to dinner. So, on any given day you could hear Samuel's competitive mother saying, "Say Dada." I don't like to lose. Then, his equally competitive father echoes with, "Say Mama." Neither does he.
On and on this little friendly competition went...until today. It was bath time and Sam had just started jabbering a little, and he began saying, "ama." Since Daddy was out of town, I said, "Samuel, say Mama." He looked and me and furrowed his eyebrow a moment...and said, "Mama." Just like that. I was so shocked he actually did it; I sat back and choked on my breath for a moment. Then came a couple of happy tears. I know he doesn't yet associate that word with me yet, but it was still so sweet to hear. My father (and Dale Carnegie) always say, "A person's name is the sweetest sound in any language." I've been called many names, but "Mama" is the best yet!
So, I owed Michael dinner. He chose Chinese food, and I happily paid the bill. Best bet I ever lost!
No comments:
Post a Comment