Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Monster Cookies

There are some family traditions that just keep getting better over time.  Our monster cookie tradition is one of them.  Ever since I can remember, Grandmom has made monster cookies, Madge Smith candy and homeade fudge for Christmas.  We looked forward to these yummy treats all year long, and they became a staple item for the holidays.  As we grandkids got older, we began "helping" her make monster cookies.  The recipe is HUGE and so is the mess, which makes it all the more fun!  

Now that we are all grown up, we have passed down the tradition of monster cookies to our kids.  Here is the next generation making monster cookies with as big of smiles as I ever remember when I made them myself.


JudyLynn and Michelle have been heading up the monster cookie effort for several years now, and they make sure to include all the new members of the family.  This was Becca and Sam's first year to participate in monster cookie making.

The kids rolled the dough into balls and grandmom arranged them on the pan.


Sam just about went unnoticed when he quickly reached into the bowl to grab 
a "monster" and shove it in his mouth!  Little stinker!

I wonder if she knew when she got this recipe and started making these cookies long ago that it would develop into a family tradition as special as this... You can't replace these memories or this lady.  My Grandmom is one of the most special people I know.

Please notice how many kiddos lost their shirts in the cookie making process.
Did I mention it's a big messy recipe that makes the best cookies in the world?!

Show us your messy monster cookie hands!!!!


The finished product...the first pan of piping hot monster cookies and the fourth 
generation of boy hands (that were thoroughly washed) that made them!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY!!! I love monster cookies!!! And you know what I love even more? Family Chritmas Traditions! :-) Looks fun!! :-) ~Meagan

    ReplyDelete