Um, wow. A bit sudden and anti-climactic for sending my husband off to open-heart surgery, right?! Couldn't I sit with him a while before hand? Hold his hand through some of the prep work? Yeah, no. It was more like, "Peace out, see you on the flip side, bud." I didn't even get a pre-op selfie.
I didn't expect that one and Malinda wasn't planning to be here to sit with me until 8:00. Awesome. And about that time, in walks the angel disguised as my dad. Unexpectedly, he arrived right as I had seated myself in the waiting room, alone. Company for the next two hours while we wait for the surgery to begin, yes please.
Frequent updates came from the operating room to my hospital issued fancy phone, and by 11:15, the surgeon was asking to meet with me in a private room. It was over. The surgery went faster than expected. The repairs needed to fix the anuerism were less complicated than expected. And they were able to successfully replace his heart valve with an Onyx mechanical valve, the biggest one, just like Michael wanted. He is now officially…the bionic man.
It would be 9 more hours until I would get to see him awake. He had a very hard time coming out of anesthesia. I called up a few times wondering what in the world was taking so long in recovery, and they would report he was "behaving wildly" every time they tried to reduce sedation and they would have to sedate again to keep him safe. Anyone surprised by this one? Not me.
We made every attempt to get him comfortable for the evening and maybe even sleep, but everyone knows there is little rest for those in the ICU. His pain is great. His arms are extremely sore (mostly from being tied behind his head for a lengthy surgery. Each breath hurts his newly mended sternum. But, we have praised God all through the evening and night for such great outcomes and for perfectly orchestrating this day. Thank you to everyone who prayed, called, texted, sent meals, and loved on our babies while we are here. We are blessed indeed to be surrounded by so many who love us and a God who is so very faithful.
I'll leave you with a cardiac ICU cameo of my brave soldier.
So, this is what the downhill slope looks like...

No comments:
Post a Comment