Saturday, January 23, 2016

One Word 2016: Trust the Process

It's the 23rd of January on a long snowy weekend, and I'm determined to finish my annual one word resolution post, which ideally should have been done the first week of the new year.  Punctuality went out the window when I had kids, people, but I'm still trying.  This is a practice I began in 2011 to promote "growth with simplicity," previous word choices here.  In practice, this one word should drive my thoughts and actions and focus throughout the year.  So here goes…

In thinking of what I'd like to focus on this year, the list is overwhelming.  Better health and fitness.  Getting out of debt (for the love of all the heart surgery bills).  Raising my children with greater intentionality.  Cultivating a deeper relationship with God in my quiet time and prayer.  Persuing next steps in professional growth.  I make my own self tired with all these lofty goals.

Big goals.  I'm really good at big goals and dreams.  I'm even pretty good at trusting my own abilities and working hard enough to achieve the outcomes I want.  When I want something, I can totally bring out the laser-like focus in an effort to will my chosen outcome to happen.  My husband really loves this about me, and this quality never, ever gets on his nerves.  (Read: sarcasm).

But, this past year has been so much bigger than me.  I've found myself in powerless places where no amount of research, or effort, or action would affect the outcome.  My big dreams and personal will were uncomfortably challenged, and it has caused a new way of thinking to take root.

So, here it is, my one-word for 2016 is not actually a word this time, but a phrase:  trust the process

Trusting the process implies not attaching myself to the outcomes, but rather small actions steps that can be done on a day-to-day basis.  How freeing this mindset can be to someone (like me) who has been consumed with anxiety over controlling my desired results.

"Trust the process" means knowing that some parts of the process are cleaner than others, but each part serves a purpose.  Whether or not I ever reach my goal weight on the scale again becomes less important than making the healthiest choices I can in the day I am in.  The results will come if I stick to plan.  Whether or not those I love defeat the cancer raging inside them becomes less important than daily lifting them up in prayer and letting God be God.  One way or another, the healing will come.  Whether I get out of debt in this calendar year becomes less important than chipping away at those bills one monthly payment at a time.  Sooner or later, that $0 balance will come.  Just keep going.

And, I'm even trusting the messy parts as a valuable piece of the journey.  No one has a "get out of jail free" card.  We all have scars and wounds, and no one has it all together, despite how it may seem on Facebook.  I wouldn't wish my trials on anyone, but I've learned so much about the character and faithfulness of God from them.  I've seen firsthand how powerful the kindness of others can be, how blessings really can come from ashes.  God never promised us this life would be easy, but He did say over and over we can trust in Him.  Trust the process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment