Sam and I were sitting at the dinner table a few nights ago, him eating his macaroni and peas and me daydreaming into space about something I can't even remember now. He finished eating and signed to me that he was "all done," but I didn't see him. He probably tried more than once to show me he was finished eating, but I didn't notice. So, he yelled out with the lungs of his drill-instructor father to get my attention; very effective son. Mind cleared, I looked at him and asked, "What?" He slowly leaned forward in his chair, looked at me as if I was the one with limited cognitive development, raised his little hands in the air again and signed..."all done."
I've thought about that incident several times since then, sometimes laughing, sometimes wondering how much I really do miss while I'm unfocused and daydreaming about seemingly unimportant things. Then I began to wonder how many times God has tried to get my attention, but I didn't see Him...
This brings me to my One Word for 2012. It's no small task choosing a word since I'm stuck with it for the next 366 days. To really live with it, allow it to shape my thoughts and actions, guide my decisions, reflect the person I want to be. This year, my word is SEE.
SEE:
to perceive or detect as if by sight;
to be aware of; to give or pay attention;
to discover or realize a usually obscured truth;
to grasp the true nature of
See all that Michael does everyday to help me get out of the house on time. Cooking breakfast, packing lunches, entertaining the "breakfast club." Realize how blessed I am to have him, and thank him often.
Be present and really see Sam's growth and progress each day. Focus. Store up these treasures in my heart. See the bigger picture of our time spent together going on wagon rides, playing at the park or building Lego castles in the living room floor. See that my time with Sam is precious and fleeting and should be well spent.
Be aware of the impact of my words and actions on my students each day. Did I strengthen souls? Judge the wounded? Grasp the true nature of my students. See them the way God sees them.
Detect the subtle nudges from God. Recognize when God is trying to get my attention, and give it to Him fully, without the use of talking donkies. Realize when I am being called to action and respond. Be aware of those who need my help. No "walking by on the other side" for me.
See all that Michael does everyday to help me get out of the house on time. Cooking breakfast, packing lunches, entertaining the "breakfast club." Realize how blessed I am to have him, and thank him often.
Be present and really see Sam's growth and progress each day. Focus. Store up these treasures in my heart. See the bigger picture of our time spent together going on wagon rides, playing at the park or building Lego castles in the living room floor. See that my time with Sam is precious and fleeting and should be well spent.
Be aware of the impact of my words and actions on my students each day. Did I strengthen souls? Judge the wounded? Grasp the true nature of my students. See them the way God sees them.
Detect the subtle nudges from God. Recognize when God is trying to get my attention, and give it to Him fully, without the use of talking donkies. Realize when I am being called to action and respond. Be aware of those who need my help. No "walking by on the other side" for me.
"Oh Lord, open my eyes so I may see." 2 Kings 6:17
(JPV) Jen's Personal Version
Wonderful post and needed reminder to stop and take time to really see and appreciate all that is around us and all that God is working on in our lives!! Beautifully written! :-) Thank you for sharing this! ~Meagan
ReplyDelete