Friday, December 24, 2010

Mary Knew...

Inspired by a blog post from a friend of mine, I have created one of my own...

Mary you have found favor with God.  You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name of Jesus.  Luke 1: 30-31

With this holiday season being my first as a mother, I seem to have Mary on my mind a lot.  A teenager.  A virgin.  The mother of the highest king.  There is a popular song entitled "Mary Did You Know" that begs the question of whether or not Mary understood the true significance of giving birth to her son Jesus.  Now, having shared a similar experience of giving birth to a beautiful baby boy... I think she knew.

She treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.  Luke 2:19

When I first saw the face of my newborn child, my heart swelled with joy at the miracle God had blessed me with.  When I held him in my arms and stared into his eyes, I was in awe of the work of my creator.  I imagine Mary felt this way too.

When we received his name from the Lord and introduced him with pride to our friends and family, knowing he was placed here on Earth with an important purpose, I smiled at this precious gift we had received from God.  I imagine Mary felt this way too.

When I think about the responsibility I have to raise up a godly young man who will boldly face his adversaries and lend a helping hand to others in need, I am overwhelmed at times at the task God has charged me with.  I imagine Mary felt this way too.

When he smiles at me and wraps his little hand around my finger, a motherly instinct to protect swells up inside me, and I pray each day that God will protect him from harm.  I imagine Mary felt this way too.

I imagine she knew exactly how significant the birth of her son was.  I imagine everytime she looked at him was confirmation to her that she indeed was favored by God and had been chosen to complete a very important task.  Everytime I look at Sam I am reminded that first, God answeres prayers, and second, I too am highly favored by the Lord.

1 comment: